Are you looking for ideas on adding style to the hardscape in your garden? Flagstone pathways and patios are trending in Ontario, and it never goes out of style. It has a natural stone look and texture and comes in different shapes and sizes.
What Is Flagstone Made of?
There are many flagstone products available, and all have distinct features. Natural flagstone is made from breaking sedimentary rocks into flat layers for a walkway. Flagstone in Ontario is made from sandstone, quartzite, bluestone and limestone.
The Benefits of Using Flagstone In Your Garden
- Flagstone is a highly durable material, allowing it to withstand elements’ exposure. It does not crack easily, and it can withstand damage caused by pests such as termites.
- It is always available on the market and your most cost-effective option.
- Flagstone comes in many different textures, styles and colours, which allows it to work for almost all landscape projects.
- The surface of flagstone is a non-slip surface because flagstone creates more traction than other materials and has more curves and ridges, which helps with grip.
Ways To Use Flagstone in Your Garden
- A Unique Flagstone Patio
Flagstone can be cut into perfect block shapes that make it looks like tiles. Many people use it for their outside patio. It can withstand the foot traffic caused by humans and animals and is also the best choice for exposure to weather conditions.
- Flagstone Walkway
A flagstone walkway through a garden or wooded area creates a storybook-like atmosphere. It is best to use pieces that look uncut and natural to blend with your garden. The stone is level with the ground, making it safe for children or older adults prone to tripping.
- Build A Retaining Wall
Some people like adding flagstone retaining walls to their garden to create the idea of there being different sections. Others find it necessary to have one to maintain the debris that gets washed downhill by rain or to stop a sand wall from collapsing.
- Garden Edging Using Flagstone
Adding an edge around your garden with stone keeps the grass from overgrowing, giving your garden a neat look. You can use different types and sizes of flagstone for your garden or even flower beds to make your garden look more geometric but still natural.
At Salix Nurseries, our expert landscaper team with a love for flagstone design in Ontario can help you find the perfect product to match your design and assist you with creating it. Contact us at (905) 985-1003 for more information or receive a non-obligatory quote.